Monday, December 21, 2009

Needs more Ds

The most lasting thing I got from my viewing of Avatar last friday was a feeling of wonder and amazement. It wasn't just the experience of seeing the film in 3D, it was the execution of the 3D that that sucked me in. It could have easily been a series of cheap scares and out place moments where "OH MY GOD THAT GUN IS POINTING RIGHT AT YOU" but they weren't there. Avatar didn't just prove that modern 3D was a great technology, but that it can be done in a way that benefits the film and doesn't distract from the experience of watching it.

I don't want to hang to much on the film, it isn't perfect, but it has done a great deal to advance the medium. Like Jurassic Park was 16 years ago a revelation for CGI, Avatar is for 3D.

There are still some questions left to be answered, ticket prices, blu-ray, etc., but I still am more excited for films in a post Avatar world than I ever thought I would be.

No comments: